Saturday 6 March 2010

Why should you vote?

That's the question isn't it. Why should you, or come to think of it, why should I vote? Democracy. Hope. Future. Vision. Change. Are all these just subjective concepts that are dangled as bait in front of students naive to the whole voting process?

The reason I have advertised this blog on my group is so that I can have real time communication with the students who are voting for me. It's so that I can keep them up to date with what I'm doing as well as inform them about the electoral process at the Liverpool Students' Union.

So, why should you vote? I think it's safe to assume that our generation has grown up with a veil of negativity cast onto it. From terrorism to life threatening diseases to a global recession, we've seen events like this in the last decade alone. Our generation has grown up to believe that it's a dog eat dog world out there and that we must possess an innate but relative selfishness to succeed.

So that's why you should vote. To be selfish and make a choice that's totally yours. It's to reclaim that little power that we have in an attempt to form the collective. It's to make sure that our voice doesn't disappear in the system. I mean, why should you remain silent while others around you make their thoughts known? Why should your opinions matter less? They shouldn't! So don't let them go to waste.

So many students complain that they are not represented well enough. Many students feel that they don't have a voice. In my experience, organizations such as the union have a lot to offer but they're misrepresented by this overshadowing reputation. The only way to change things is by becoming more involved. I mean we must retain some pride for our university. I personally hate the fact that LJMU comes second in the list of Universities in Liverpool. So it's up to us as students to better things.

All in all, just vote. Preferably for me but even if it's not for me. Just vote. Because at the end of the day it's about making our union and university better.

No comments:

Post a Comment