Thursday 11 March 2010

The Beating Heart

What a union should be
A university, any university, should take pride in it's union. The two should be linked, a bond that benefits students. The union is a place that students can come too for shelter from studying. It should be that safe haven where they can escape to when academia comes rap-tap-a-tapping at the door. A union should be the beating heart of the university.

Our union
Using the analogy of a union as a heart, I would have to say that ours needs a pacemaker (even I'm cringing at that line). What our union doesn't have is presence. It lacks charisma, it lacks that je ne sais quoi. Our union is dull and drab in comparision to others around the country. It needs life. The conundrum here is that to get it lively we need student involvement and to get student involvement we need that passion and to get that passion we need the place to be lively. A full circle.

What our union is good at
There are two main elements our union is great at. One is supporting students. When I first walked into the union with fragmented ideas they were open to me straight away. They listen. They create opportunities. They provide. Sometimes things get frustrating but any business has it's hiccups. The second thing our union is good at is probably the first one again. I had to put two down. One is a lonely number.

If I get voted in I'm going to make sure that our university know about the union. I plan to build a body of students around the beating heart. I plan to create a community. For now I need to run off in search of that giant pacemaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment