Sunday 17 January 2010

Touching down in Cairo town

I went to Egypt and, rather unexpectedly, I fell in love. Everyone wants that one holiday romance. To fall in love on holiday accentuates everything. Love at first sight is not something I usually believe in but I fell in love the moment I experienced her, the moment I breathed her in, the moment I touched her. Ancient Egypt, the Queen of the Nile.

As the moon hangs low in the midnight Egyptian sky, the desert dust paints it a Mars-ish red and the city beneath is still alive with all the charm of a heap of stones. A city of midnight moons and ancient tombs. The day was as long as the night is short and as we cruise down the highway I’m in a state of surprising indifference.

Cities from passenger seats in cars are just cities just like all airports are just airports and carpets are just glorified rugs; nothing special. After all, a hundred thousand blurry lights are still just blurry lights. After about a hundred mosques, a scattering of palm trees and massive industrious signs, we are finally pulled into the tractor beam of our hotel.

What you need to know is that a five start hotel in Africa is at the very most a three star hotel in the rest of the world. However, you also have to know that I grew up in Africa and a three star hotel to me is a five star hotel. Simple logic. You also need to know that you cannot possibly enjoy the perks of a five start hotel when you inadvertently fall asleep as soon as you get to the room. Simple physics.

No comments:

Post a Comment